PIECES OF ME - Why I Will Not Vote For Duterte

The Presidential Elections is fast approaching and in a few months, a new Philippine President will take office. The future of our country will be decided.

That being said, I haven't decided yet on who to vote for. It's a tough choice considering all candidates have their.own strengths and weaknesses.

Though I am sure of one thing. That I will not vote for Rodrigo Duterte.

I don't know any of his achievements in Davao City. I haven't been there but I would like to. Not that I don't consider the fact that whatever he has done in his hometown could be replicated in the whole country but I don't believe in his ways.

One, the womanizing and objectifying of women. I don't get why these ladies would get "kilig" when Duterte would flirt or playfully kiss them. Have some self respect. Di porket sikat, papayag kang hipuan at tsansingan.

Another, the cursing of world leaders, whether it be a joke or out context. As an OFW, I learned that most of us would reay need the good relationship between our own leader and the country we worked for. Mahirap mabuhay sa isang bansa kung ang gobyerno mo ay hindi kasundo ng gobyernong pinagtatrabahuhan mo. Ikaw ang maiiipit. And with what Rodrigo Duterte has done in the past few months of his campaign, I don't think it will benefit the thousands of Filipinos overseas.

Also, the violence, the use of death penalty and the Davao Death Squad. I don't want to live in fear. Sure, criminals and law breakers deserve punishment. Some have done things so horrible that they might deserve to die. But I believe in due process. I believe that a person is innocent until proven guilty. It might sound beautiful that he could end crime in 3-6 months but how sure is he of the justice system in our country? Maraming kriminal ang nasa kulungan. Marami din sa mga ito ay napagbintangan o di nabigyan ng fair and just trial. Hindi sa inaakusahan ko ang justice system ng bansa pero di maikakaila na may mga kawani ito na hindi rin maganda ang ginagawa.

I don't want to live in a country where I follow rules out of fear. For me that is not discipline. I'd rather follow rules and obey the law because I love my country and I would do anything to make it a better country than obey the law for fear of being assasinated or executed. Mas masarap mamuhay sa isang lugar kung disiplinado ang mga tao, oo. Pero ayokong tumira sa isang bansang sumusunod lamang ng dahil takot maparusahan. Hindi ba't mas mainam kung ang mga tao ay sumusunod dahil iginagalang at minamahal nila ang kanilang bayan?

Another, I don't believe punching the face of someone who has done wrong and finding it acceptable, is acceptable. Yes, I am talking about Sara Duterte. The kind of attitude of someone raised by Rodrigo Duterte reflects how he would raise this country. Kung ganyan na kataas ang tingin nila sa sarili nila ngayon, paano pa kung maihalal ang kanilang ama bilang pangulo?

Somehow, I think Duterte has a good chance of winning. He has a lot of supporters and he's a breath of fresh air in this game. People want change and that's what he offers. But still I won't vote for him. I have lots of friends who are Pro Duterte and I respect that. It's their opinion as this is mine. I just hope that whoever wins would be a great leader for our country.

Comments