FROM THYSHELF - HUNGER GAMES

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins



   Once I'm on my feet, I realize escape might
not be so simple.
    Panic begins to set in. I can't stay here.
Flight is essential.
    But i can't let my fear show.


The Hunger Games is a story about a nation called Panem, which was once North America, and its twelve outlying districts. The Capitol keeps the district in their control via a contest known as the hunger games, which is a fight for survival. Each district sends a boy and a girl teenager as their contestants or their "tributes'' to fight in an arena with other tributes.The prize for winning is more food for your district. However, the game is a fight to the death. You only win when you are the only one who lives. So it's basically a kill or be killed kind of setup. The catch is people of higher power, known as ''gamekeepers'' have control over what is happening in the arena. (Can't say anything more about the story.. You have to read the book to find out more)


So I just read the book and here is what I thought about it.


Story:

The story was kinda good.(hehe, napakageneral). However,  I liked how the story is somehow a metaphor to society. That there are people who are at the mercy of those with power and they have nothing to do but follow what others want or dictate.
Rating:  4 stars ★★★★
 I cannot rate the story content since it's a series and I don't know the whole story yet. There might be some underlying mystery on some characters or some events so for now that's it. Also I can't say a lot because I don't want to spoil it.

Narrative flow:

What I'm not sure if I like or dislike about this book is the way it was told by a character. Sure it was done so to tell her emotions and her thoughts, but what about the other characters? However, I do like the fact that description was vivid, story was action packed, and it has flashback references which helps us understand more about the main character.
Rating: 3 and a half stars ★★★1/2

Characters:

I would be talking of characters which I like and really made an impact on me. I would also be rating them as how I like them or how they spark my interest.

Katniss

I really like how Katniss is a fierce young lady. Strengthened by the circumstances she's been through but still has a soft spot especially for her sister. I also like how Katniss can keep calm under immense pressure and how she never gave up on her family.
Rating: 4 and a half stars ★★★★ 1/2

Peeta

I like how Peeta was defined as a baker's son and that he does the decoration for their cakes. Partnering her with Katniss is so perfect. Peeta's sweet caring attitude is the perfect match for Katniss' spunky demeanor. Although  Peeta also have that rebellious fire inside him and that he too have special and useful skills. I just wish there was more to Peeta's background so as we can fully understand where he is coming from.
Rating: 4 stars ★★★★

Gale

I really think that just like Peeta, Gale is in love with Katniss. Seeing as how understanding of Katniss he is, I think Gale likes Katniss. Like Peeta, I wish we would see more of Gale in the other books.
Rating: 4 stars ★★★★

Rue

I really like Rue. She is one of those characters that one would grow to love or can't help but love. Maybe that's why Katniss likes her. Because you can't help but love her just like the other Everdeen girl, Primrose. I just wish she had more action before she died.
Rating: 4 stars ★★★★ 

Cinna

I have a feeling that Cinna is hiding something. Although it's his job to take care of his tribute and make her look good and all, he's too damn nice. Either that or his character is badly written.
Rating: 3 stars ★★★





The Hunger games is definitely a must read. Aside from the fact that the setting for the story is a time of desperation, I would recommend it to children (maybe those at the age of twelve) as something to stimulate their imagination.

My overall rating for the book:

4 stars ★★★★
(in-average ko talaga lahat ng scores to come up with my overall rating. hihi)

Comments