SILVER SCREEN - Rocking the night away with Rock of Ages

It has been so long since I last posted and I apologize for it. As I told on my previous posts that I would be very busy once I started work, hence this outdated review. But the important thing is I'm back and once again giving my insights on different things. Happy reading!

Rock of Ages







Directed by: Adam Shankman

Rock of Ages is a musical based on the Broadway hit of the same title, written by Chris D'Arienzo. Rock of Ages is about a young lady named Sherrie leaving her hometown to pursue her Hollywood dream. She then meets bartender Drew of the famous bar The Bourbon Room where the legendary rock band Arsenal started. Drew helps Sherrie get a job at the Bourbon Room and they started to show feelings for each other. Dennis, owner of the Bourbon is having problems with maintaining his bar. Also the mayor's wife Patricia is rallying up people to close down all bars in the Sunset Strip, particularly The Bourbon Room, to clean up the image of L.A. Dennis then invites Arsenal's leadman Stacee Jaxx to perform one last time at the Bourbon as they had just announce their disbanding. The story develops as Stacee Jaxx arrives at the Bourbon. How his arrival affected the budding romance of Drew and Sherrie, the financial status of The Bourbon Room and why is the mayor's wife so against rock music will be shown as the movie progress.

Cast:

Julianne Hough as Sherrie Christian, waitress at the Bourbon who went to L.A. to become a singer.
Diego Boneta as Drew Boley, bartender at the Bourbon who is also a talented songwriter and singer.
Tom Cruise as Stacee Jaxx, Arsenal's frontman
Alec Baldwin as Dennis Dupree, owner of the Bourbon
Catherine Zeta- Jones as Patricia Whitmore, the mayor's wife who is campaigning for the closing of the Bourbon.
Russel Brand, as Lonny Barnett, manager of the Bourbon as close friend of Dennis
Paul Giamatti as Paul Gill, Stacee Jaxx's manager
Malin Akerman as Constance Sack, a RollingStone reporter who falls for Stacee Jaxx
Mary J.Blige as Justice Charlier, owner of the Venus Club where Sherrie then worked as a stripper.


Now here is what I thought of the movie:



Rock of Ages rocks it. I admit I am an impartial judge when it comes to musicals but I really think the movie was good. Tom Cruise killed it as a conceited, self absorbed and megalomaniac rock star. and he sings pretty good too. Russel Brand was a revelation to me in this movie. I know he is a comedian but I didn't know that he is that funny. Kudos to him too. Also, I love the music. I may not look like someone who enjoys rock music but I do and all those classics played in the movie were phenomenal. It added to the rock element of the movie. Also the costumes and the outfit screams 80's punk rock which I think was the decade were rock music really rocked (pardon the pun).

The movie also had this Hairspray vibe into it. the theme of the movie is how rock music is becoming a sensation and there were people who are not open to it. The same theme in Hairspray where integration of races was still not accepted. I guess that is a given since the 2007 movie is also directed by Adam Shankman.

Another thing I would like to point out is the movie's difference from the Broadway musical . One, Patricia Whitmore's  character was not in the musical play. Also Constance Sack. Another difference is Sherrie's relationship with Stacee Jaxx. However different it may be I think the storyline of the movie was pretty awesome.

Although  I think it was good, there were still some things that I didn't like. Like Julianne Hough's singing and acting. Yes, she is an amazing dancer and I think she should stay as a dancer. She's a pretty blonde bombshell but I don't think she is a good singer as she is as a dancer. Also, I don't quite understand Mary J. Blige's character. Not that I don't want her to be in the movie but I don't get her relevance.


So that's it for Rock of Ages. It was shown here in the Philippines last June 15. If you didn't get to catch it on the theaters, you can always buy a DVD copy once it got out.



Feel free to leave comments and if you are bloggers too, leave your URLs so I can also visit your sites. Thank you!!































Comments