SPOONFUL - Eating in Comfort This Rainy Season

Rainy season has officially started. Times like this, when you're stuck at home and you can't go out because of the heavy down pour. Don't you just love to eat something warm and relaxing at home? I know I do so I am giving you my top choices for rainy day comfort food. Yes, rainy day comfort food!  Whenever it's raining, there are some dishes that you just love to eat. It may not always be something that makes you warm but just something that makes you feel like the rain is about to end and sun will be out soon.

But first, what exactly do I look for or want in a comfort food. Well, as someone who loves to eat and loves to cook, I want something easy to prepare. I do most of the cooking at home so I don't think that a dish that requires 5 hours of cooking and extensive labor is comforting.

Also, I want my comfort food to be something I could whip up without  having to search for a particular item in a specific store. I want a comforting food that anytime I would feel like eating it, I would be able to do so.

Next, I want it to be delicious. Of course, who would want to eat food that tastes bad.

There's this certain kind of feeling that I get when I am eating my comfort food. It's not the "busog" feeling but the kind that when you eat it, you just feel that life's good and you'll feel happy all of a sudden.

So those are my criteria., let's get on with my choices!



First, "Lugaw". The classic Filipino rice porridge is a favorite of mine! Especially in this cold weather. Whether it be "Arroz Caldo"(with chicken) or "Goto" (with ox tripe) or egg. Or just plain "Lugaw" with toasted garlic and spring onions. Yum!

There's something about lugaw that makes it so comforting. It's like the prefect home cooked meal eaten whenever it's raining. You've got rice, chicken, ox tripe or egg, its complete! It's just so makes you feel warm and cozy whenever you eat it.

Another dish I love to eat during rainy season is luncheon meat and fried rice. Though I haven't eaten rice for four months (OO, KINAYA KO!), there was a time when I love eating heaps of fried rice with luncheon meat.(There was actually one time where I finished an entire can of luncheon meat and two whole plates of rice, but more of that in the future). 
Okay, I was a glutton before but who wouldn't love the saltiness of the luncheon meat and the savory and satsifying taste of fried rice when it's raining? 

Next on my list would be, "Sinigang na isda sa miso" I love eating fish! And I eat every part of it (even the eyes!). Rainy days will surely be more comforting when I eat a steaming bowl of its fruity sour soup and delicious fish meat. 
Plus, the saltiness of the miso and the spicy mustard leaves. Ay kasarap!

Another fish dish that I love! Fried Tilapia! I don't know why but really love it. It doesn't have to be seasoned with anything extra, just salt will do. 
I love eating Fried Tilapia with "bagoong alamang" and sliced tomatoes. Also, I eat every part of it (I'm weird that way).

Lastly, when it's this cold and I am in the mood to prepare something that will warm me up, I make pumpkin soup. I love its creaminess, even without adding cream and the rich roasted flavor of the pumpkin. Perfect for the rainy days!
You might say that it doesn't fit my criteria of something easy to prepare but it  really is. I'll be teaching you how in a bit. 

So that's it. Those were my top choices for my rainy day comfort food. I hope you would share your choices too! Post them below or on twitter @iamthebludevil.



Here is the recipe for my roasted pumpkin soup:

1 half squash or pumpkin, peeled and seeds are removed
Olive oil
Onion, peeled and chopped
Chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste

First, cut the pumpkin into cubes. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the pumpkin cubes with about a tablespoon of olive oil. Then roast inside an oven for about 10-15 minutes at medium heat or if you don't have an oven, even a simple oven toaster will do.

In a saucepan, saute onions until translucent. Add roasted pumpkin cubes and saute until pumpkins are cooked. Add enough chicken stock to submerged the pumpkin.

 Using a stick blender (this is why it's easy), blend the mixture in the sauce pan until all pieces of pumpkin are pureed. 

When all pumpkin pieces are pureed, continue to simmer soup until desired consistency is achieved. Serve each bowl with a pinch of nutmeg for an added spice and with sour dough bread or even pan de sal.




Comments