PIECES OF ME - A Message to The Idealistic Youth

Jose Rizal once said, "Ang kabataan ang pag-asa ng bayan." (The youth is the hope of the nation). I quite agree. The innocence and idealism of the youth somewhat gives hope to a present whose adult leaders who already are caught up with perils brought about by the corrupted world. And I don't think anyone would disagree since the youth of today are really the men of tomorrow. The youth are the future leaders of the society.

However, society has also become fast-paced. It also goes with the ever changing flow of how things work in a community. With the advent of social media, television and colonization mentality brought about by our fascination of everything on the western side, is Rizal's quotation still applicable to the youth. Are they still as idealistic as they are before? Or perhaps too idealistic that they have lost sense of reality?



A few months back,  I saw on Facebook, friends who are graduating or already graduated and starting to work. Though, I was a lot like them before, I was irked when they rant or complain about the government, or how difficult life is or just how the corporate system in the Philippines is. Some would even rant about how the government should fix things, or how his superiors should be. Some would even call out politicians on how they should hire someone from their profession. I was irked because, they all have their idea of how things should be. There were times where I want to comment on their rants and say "This is the real world! Deal with it".

I am not that old nor do I have a lot of experience in the industry. I've worked only for a few years but I can say that I've seen a few things that made me realize, we live in a dog-eat-dog world. Yes, the corporate world can sometimes be like living in the company of power hungry and career driven wolves. Wolves who would not stop at anything just to get to the top. There are also others who wouldn't care about doing their job or others just as long they have done their part. Those are the ones who wouldn't care about how others would be affected just as long as they are paid well.  I used to think they only exist on TV or on books, but I was wrong.

I am not trying to sound like an expert or anything. I just want others to be wary of these things. I am also not trying to down the free spirits of the youth but I just want to say that there are some things they should know about the world they are about to enter.

But what I want to say is this: Do not lose your ideals. The world might not be as perfect as you imagine it to be. Yes, life is hard.  Try to grasp that reality. But never lose your idealism. Those ideals are your weapons to fight the mortal perils of society. But never ever lose touch of reality. Don't ever forget the fact that you are living in a harsh world. The time will come when you will work everyday, 9-to-5, five days a week. You might feel fed up or bored with your life. It is normal. But use your ideals and hopes and dreams to fight through the cruel world we are living in.

I too am struggling in this battle. I have lived through things that most twenty three year old would never want to experience. But I use my idealism and my dreams of working and living in a better world to fight through. Though there are times when I think I am fighting a losing battle. have faith that goodness will prevail.

To the youth: you are the hope of tomorrow. You are your own chance to have a brighter future. You are the ones who will make your own future. Be not afraid of facing life. But do not be overconfident of your dreams. You will learn things and in time your experience, paired with your wildest dreams of having the prefect world, will be more than enough for you to be successful.








If you have comments, questions or suggestions, post them below or on twitter @iamthebluedevil





Comments