FROM THYSHELF - Walking Down the Path Unchosen

It has been long since I last posted a book review. I've been kind of swamped at work so it's not that easy to sneak a read. But the November holidays came and finally, a window in my busy schedule opened and gave me time to read.

Anyway, I got this book from Netgalley which is a great site for book bloggers and professional readers to get glimpses of novels and stories that are yet to be published or were just published. You can request ARCs of the novels and in return give your review on the book. How's that for a sweet deal. Well, I won't make introductions much longer and now here's what I thought about Kim Cleary's Path Unchosen



When eighteen-year-old Judy Hudson discovers she’s a necromancer and sees first-hand the pain her powers can cause the dead, she wants to deny who she is. The zombie plague is long over. She wants to find a more normal life. A challenge when a beautiful otherworldly man, who claims to be her guardian, saves her life.
But as Judy tries to set right the harm she inflicted on the spirit she raised, new zombies attack–zombies raised from among the long-time dead. Someone else just like her is out there, and he’s not trying to set anything right.
Now, to save her own life and protect the innocent inhabitants of the nearby town who’ve become her friends, Judy must figure out who’s raising the dead and why. She must also learn to control the darkness inside her–a seductive darkness that promises her power beyond her wildest dreams.
-kimcleary.com

First, what draw me to request this novel is the cover design. I know people always say that "You don't judge a book by its cover" but there is something about the raven in the tombstone that made me feel something magical about this book. And I was right! This book is filed with so much magic. Not just because the story is about a necromancer and zombies but because it brings you to a whole new world and draws you to read more. It's a spell binding book I must say.

Another thing I liked is that the book had so much gaping holes in the story. After you read it, you'd be left wondering who, what when, where and why did some things happened. Though at first, I was a bit apprehensive of these holes. I thought, the story was not well constructed to have too much question marks but when I remembered that this was just the first book, I relented and was more excited to read what happens next.

One thing though that I would like for this book to have is a story from the point of view of another character. We are so used to stories having an outsider's pint of view or the main character telling his/her story (like in this book) but I think it would give the story depth if another character's point of view is there. Or the second book could be in the point of view of another character or a whole new series based on one character. The possibilities are endless and I think this is due to the gaping holes that were left unanswered at the end of the book. It's like I want to know more about this new world I discovered through this book.

Clearly, I had a blast reading this novel. And I can't wait for the next one to come out.











What's your latest read? Share theme here or on twitter @iamthebluedevil





Comments