PLAYBOOK - Wicked Manila is Wickedly Amazing

Ever since I have learned of Wicked about 3 or 4 years ago, I dreamed of watching it live. I adored Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth as Elphaba and Glinda and dreamed that someday I would get to experience Wicked. My dreams came true when it was announced that Wicked will have a Manila run this year. I was so excited and giddy that I bought tickets the moment it was on sale.

For those who are not familiar, Wicked is a story parallel to the Wizard of Oz. The musical is based from Gregory Maguire's best selling novel of the same title. The book is the first part of Maguire's trilogy (2nd book: Son of the Witch, 3rd book: Lion Among Men). Wicked was dubbed as thr biggest Broadway blockbuster. Wicked tells the story of Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda, the Good Witch of the South. Before Dorothy comes into Oz, Elphaba and Glinda were room mates, Wicked tells how the unlikely pair became enemies at school, best friends and heroes of Oz.

Last week, my dreams turned into reality when I finally got to watch Wicked live!


       

My parents who watched with me!
       

Me at the photo wall
      

Whispering a good luck to Elphaba
     


     

The time dragon clock! It's eyes were glowing red and spews steam!!
     

A map of Oz
     

We went into the Visa Photobooth before the show started 
   

Honestly, I did not expect the Manila run to be as amazing as the original Broadway production. Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth set the bar pretty high for Elphaba and Glinda but Jemma Rix and Suzie Mathers delivered splendidly. Suzie Mathers portrayal was reminiscent of Kristin Chenoweth; the southern drawl, the annoyingly high pitched soprano voice, and the bubbly persona. Jemma Rix was a surprise. Idina Menzel is a powerful singer and Jemma Rix proved that she too could belt chest tones as clear as crystal the way Idina Menzel did. 

The set too was amazing. From Glinda's bubble, to Elphaba's flight from the attic. It was spot on. The best part was when they first came to Emerald City. The whole stage lit up as of it was made entirely of emeralds. The Time Dragon Clock was a great highlight. Spewing steam with its glowing eyes. 

Though the only thing I could point out negative was that how different is the story from the book where it was supposed to be adapted. Yes it's an adaptation so it does not mean to be an exact copy but there are a lot of important points in the book that was not in the play. I guess this was to tone down the explicity of the original story and to make it appropriate for younger audiences.


Wicked was definitely an experience. It's truly one of the best times of my life. 





Be social! Post your comments below or on twitter @iamthebluedevil





Comments

Post a Comment