PIECES OF ME - 28 Things I Learned in 28 Years

Happy birthday to me!

Yes, I am 28 years old today and as my annual birthday post, I'll be sharing 28 things I have learned in my 28 years of existence (wow!)



Let's start!

28. Always expect the unexpected.

Life is full of unexpected turns. This is one thing, I could say is a very important lesson I have learned. There was a time in my life when I thought I could plan for everything. But life, sometimes, takes a different turn and it doesn't go as planned. It wasn't my dream to study Food Technology. Or to even study in UST at all. However, circumstances happened (I didn't pass the entrance exam for my chosen school then). But it turns out, it was one of the best things that have happened to me. I wouldn't have met some of the best people in my life if that didn't happen.


27. Just Keep Swimming.

Okay, so Finding Nemo is one of my ultimate favorite movies. Dory's reminder to just keep swimming if you don't know what else to do is one thing I always try to keep in mind. Just keep swimming. Keep moving forward.

26. It's okay not to be okay.

There are times in my life when I don't feel good about myself or I feel bad. And before, I use to think that I shouldn't show if I feel sad because it will be a burden to others. However, in recent years, I have learned that it's not bad to feel bad. Rather than hide what I feel, I have learned how to deal with how I feel about certain things. And I find it comforting to talk (or write) about how I feel. It kinda helps me process things and understand myself more.

25. "when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it" - The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho

When you really want something and you work hard to have it, everything falls into the right place. You just have to be patient and hardworking. Everything happens in the right place, at the right time. You just have to wait and work hard.

24. Dream big. 

The possibilities in the world is endless. It's imperative to have big dreams. Because when you dream big, you work extra hard to attain it.

23. Love yourself.

I have learned to always take care of yourself. We are not superheroes.We get tired and our bodies need rest. It's always important to be healthy.

22.  An open mind learns more

I have learned that if you close your mind to all possibilities, you will never learn. Learning is something that is done with acceptance. I have learned to accept things and learn from it. If you look at things with judgement, there will be no more room for improvement.

21. You are stronger than you think.

There were times in my life that I didn't expect to overcome. I had problems before that I didn't think I could live through. But apparently I am strong enough to overcome them and now whenever I face adversities in life, I always think that if I survived all those hardships before, what more of those petty things. I always tell myself "I have been through hell and back, I can certainly face anything"

20. The best things in life are free, if you work hard for it.

People always say that the best things in life are free. But like all free things, you have to work hard for it. You can't just wait for blessings to come into your life. If you want something, show that you want it, work hard for it. And then that's how blessings pour. If you want the world to show you love and kindness, you have to show that you love and that you are kind to others.

19. Being alone is not lonely.

I have learned that being alone is not lonely at all. You can be with someone but feel lonely. What I am trying to say is that even if you are alone, you can be happy. Your happiness does not have to depend on the presence of another person.

18. Happiness is a choice.

There was an Instagram challenge that I did a few years back called #100HappyDays. The premise of the challenge was to post something, for 100 days, that made you happy. At first, it was exhausting to think of anything that made me happy but eventually, as I did the challenge, I learned to always look for things, even small things, that made me happy that particular day. I have learned to always look for the positive things in my life more. I have learned to always look at the glass half full.

17. Love never accepts a defeat, no challenge it can't meet, no place it cannot go.

Love is the most powerful thing in the world. According to Elle Woods in Legally Blonde the Musical, believe in what love can achieve. And yes I believe in love, how about you?

16. The world is a rotten apple.

As ideal as I would like to world to be, it's not like that. There are certain things in this world that are really negative. It's not bad to look at the world ideally. I have learned this the hard way last year. I placed my trust with people who I thought and considered good people. Sadly though, it didn't turn out well. But I have learned to be cautious, with the people I meet, with what I hear or say or do. Because sadly, the world is not perfect.

15. Always strive to be the better version of yourself.

Never stop learning. Never stop improving yourself. That's the only way to achieve your dreams. Learning is a continuous process. A never ending process of discovery and hard work. Always strive to improve yourself for the better. Because that's when you'll be able to give more of yourself to others.

14. Learn when to let go.
I have learned that there are certain things in life that doesn't turn out good. And it's okay to let go if these things. Because sometimes, holding on to these things cause more harm than you'd expect. Learn when to stop and take whatever you can from that experience.

13. Stop and smell the flowers.
I have this fascination with flowers. I don't know why but I really find flowers and plants amazing. I even try to incorporate my fascination of flowers in my work. I once made rose-shaped dumplings at work. But seriously though, nature has that way of invigorating you. There are times when I get so tired from work. I have learned that it's okay to pause for awhile and just appreciate the things around you. Even if it is just a simple flower.



12. Let go of toxic people. 

I have met people who I wanted to consider friends or even family. However, the relationship that I had with them was suffocating. and was not making be a better person. Being friends with them was so toxic that I had to let them go in my life. While it was really sad for me, it was exhilarating at the same time. Choose people that make you a better person. Because those are the people worth keeping.

11. Learn to laugh at yourself.

Sometimes, it's okay to laugh at yourself or act silly. Life need not be serious all the time. Learn to laugh at yourself. People would enjoy your company more if you know how to take a joke and have fun. No one likes a stick in the mud.

10.  Don't forget to say thank you.

A simple thank you can make anyone happy. Be it a cab driver who brings you home, or to a waiter who refills your glass of water. A gesture of appreciation is guaranteed to make someone's day better.

9. Never sleep on your dreams.

The Great Wall was not built in a day. It took thousands of day and night to build. If you have big dreams, work extra hard to get it. It will all be worth it when you achieve your dreams.

8. God will provide.

A friend (who's a former colleague too), once told me this. And ever since, I have always find that God really does provide. I have learned to not worry too much of things, but to just place my faith in God.

7. When there's no light, use darkness to see in the dark. 

This is my favorite quote by me. Haha. When you can't see light, use darkness to see in the dark. Whatever life deals you with, use that to your advantage to see through your dreams, your goals. Sometimes life can be dark. But use that darkness in a positive way to see through life.

6. You really just live once.

We only have one life. And it's a shame to always be afraid to try new things. Regret is one of the saddest things in the world. Just this year, I started on a new job, climbed two mountains, visited a country I have never been to. I would have regretted not ding those things. We only have one life. Make the most out of it.

5.Friends are the family you choose.

I treat my friends like family. I often refer to my closest friends as my brothers or sisters. Because to me they are family. And I am so lucky to have them as my friends.

4. The most important thing in the world is family and love.

As always, with everything that has happened in my life, my family was there with me. We may have had differences but I know that my family will always be there for me, and I for them.

3. Dance like nobody's watching. 

People will always have something to say. You do something bad, they'll have something to say. You do something good, they'll have an opinion about it. I say, just don't give a damn. As long as you're not stepping on anyone or you're not being an inconvenience to anyone, just do it. I find it less stressful if I don't think of what others will say about me.

2. Sing your heart out.

Music is one of the most important things in my life. Music really did saved my life. So, if you feel the need for it, sing your heart out. Use music to express how you feel. Music has that magic to make everything feel better. That's a fact.




1. Kindness goes a long way.

I have always tried to live my life with kindness. You don't know what others are going through, so it is important to be kind to one another. A simple act of kindness can go a long way. It can make someone's day just a little bit better. and who knows, the kindness you give to the world, someday it will comeback to you.

I have learned a lot through the years. And I am thankful for having 28 years in this world.




Comments

  1. Lessons learned and applied in life makes you the person you are today. Happy birthday! Keep learning and stay beautiful in and out! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool insights! Love it! Happy birthday, Justin!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment