PLAYBOOK - Ang Huling El Bimbo, Nakakaindak, Nakakaaliw, Nakakatindig Balahibo

Magkahawak ang ating kamay
At walang kamalay malay
Na tinuruan mo ang puso ko
na umibig ng tunay

Ang Huling El Bimbo


Cast:

OJ Mariano
Boo Gabunada
Gian Magdangal
Reb Atadero
Jon Santos
Topper Fabregas
Tanya Manalang


Ang Huling El Bimbo is a Filipino musical based on the hits of the number one band of the 90's,  Eraserheads. The story revolves around 3 friends, Hector, Anthony and Emman who are in a police station and trying to recall what happened in the past that brought them together again.


The three main characters, Hector, Anthony and Emman are played by Gian Magdangal, Jon Santos and OJ Mariano respectively. And actually, I have nothing to say but applause for these three. It was no surprise that they are good actors and singers.

Their younger selves are played by Reb Atadero, Topper Fabregas and Boo Gabunada. Atadero played the young Hector whose vocals was just golden. Fabregas as the young Anthony,  or AJ as he was called back then, gave a really charming performance you'd love to be friends with him after. Gabunada is a stellar actor. He captured the hearts of everyone watching as the sweet, and affectionate young Emman. How Hector, AJ and Emman ended up where they are now in the present day, that's for the audience to experience first hand.

I would have to commend Tanya Manalang who plays the young Joy, the rose among the three young thorns. She was really a ray of sunshine. True to her character's  name, she brings joy to the stage.

One character who really stood out for me was Shiela Francisco's Tiya Dely. Her performance was  crisp, perfect in every sense. Her rendition of Eraserheads' Shirley (or Surely as the case maybe), was just riveting.


Squad goals! Hector, Emman, Joy and AJ

One thing I would like to say about this musical was that it would make you feel.

The Minsan number was so nostalgic, it was like going through a time machine. The stomping version of Pare Ko and Tindahan ni Aling Nena was such a joy to see come into life.

One of my favorite numbers was Huwag Kang Matakot. It is my favorite Eraserheads song and I loved how they interpreted the lyrics of the song.

The end of Act 1 was so unexpected. It was like being sucker punched in  the gut then getting kicked in the ass while your heart is being torn out of your chest. I think I felt that way because I was getting attached to the characters that the end of Act 1 I just dumbfounded and my eyes were welling up. I would never hear  Alapaap or think about overlooking the same way again.

One scene in particular made me lose it. When OJ Mariano said "Andito na si Kuya." I couldn't help but cry. I was really sobbing, I had to cover my mouth to cover my wails.

Though I wish there were more on the character backgrounds. That would probably close any story gaps. However, I think that's just because I really just can't get enough of the characters and the story.

Overall, Ang Huling El Bimbo is a definite must watch.  This show just reminded me why Filipino theater and OPM is the best. This show was nakakaindak, nakakaaliw, nakakatindig balahibo.










Catch Ang Huling El Bimbo at the Newport Performing Arts Theater at Resorts World Manila. Shows are until September 2.




Comments